Helllooo, lovelies! We’re back again with Day 3!
As with our past two days, you can find the video here and then the text roughly written out below! If you haven’t downloaded the Workbook yet, now’s a great time to do it! 🙂 You can also find Day 1 HERE and Day 2 HERE.
I hope you all made some great discoveries yesterday! I actually did this exercise recently myself. And I came up with the fact that I have really been neglecting my social life lately. Facebook and Instagram are wonderful — especially when you’re an introvert like me 🙂 — but it’s so good to have deep friendships in real life. So I’m working on that!
Ok, today what I want to do is get into the practical part of setting your self-care goals. Let’s take the “remedies” to our needs and make them the goals that we will strive for as we learn to practice regular self-care.
You may be asking, Well, why can’t we just jump right in and get busy with our self-care?! I’m a firm believer in goal-setting. (high five emoji) And not just dreaming of goals — actually writing them down, one by one.
Why? Because there’s power in the pen.
We might have ideas in mind about how we want to practice self-care. We might have all the best intentions in the world. But success often depends on having a written goal.
Here’s a quick little nerdy explanation: Thinking and writing activate two different hemispheres of the brain. When both are simultaneously activated, the signals between the left brain (logic-based) and right brain (imaginative) connect. In theory, on a physiological level, this connection increases the focus and clarity of your thoughts.
So for example, how many times have you thought of 12 different grocery items you need at the store. But you get there, and you can’t remember them! But when you write them down, you can reference the list and read it with your eyes — but chances are, you actually remember at least some of the items you wrote down, even if the list isn’t right in front of you.
Writing brings clarity and purpose.
Studies have found that those who write down their goals and dreams on a regular basis achieve those desires at a significantly higher level than those who do not.
For instance, one study done at Harvard Business School polled a certain number of their graduates and found that 84% of them had no specific goals at all when graduating, 13% had goals but were not written down, and only 3% had clear written goals and a strategy to accomplish them. 10 years later, the authors of the study found that the 3% who had written goals and a strategy were earning on average 10x as much as the other 97% combined!
We’re not really after money, but I’d love for us to see results like that when it comes to practicing self-care, y’all!
So, let’s talk about making self-care goals.
When I write down my goals, for anything, I find that it’s super helpful to start with WHY.
Why do I want to accomplish xy or z? What’s my motivation? What’s my purpose?
When it comes to self-care, this may be something like, I want to make self-care a priority so that I will still be alive in 10 years to see my kids graduate. 🙂
Or it may be as simple as I want to practice self-care because I want to learn to love myself again.
Write down your WHY.
Then, make your goals. We might want to get carried away here — we’re finally jumping on the self-care train, and we want to do all the things!!! Every day!
But. This is not practical, and our husbands would hate us.
So let’s start small. Maybe write down 3-6 things that you want prioritize right now in your life, to meet the needs that you discovered yesterday. At least 1-2 goals for each category of needs.
Right now, mine are 1) go to one extra Mass every week; 2) stick to an earlier bedtime; 3) finish my postpartum doula certification.
All the experts say that when you write down your goals, be as specific as possible! Not just, go to one extra Mass every week — but, go to Mass on Tuesday mornings at Good Shepherd.
And of course, these goals aren’t set in stone. They are flexible. But writing down specifics can help you to achieve them.
So today’s Challenge will be for you to set those goals!! Use your workbook, or write them down on a big sheet of paper, and then ponder them off and on today — and then revise them if you need to, and write them down again!
And if you feel comfortable, I’d LOVE to know what you come up with! Reply here, or come over to the Facebook page and share!
Ok, get ‘er done, mamas. See you tomorrow!
Want my best tips for great postpartum self-care?
Hey, beautiful mama! Did you know that growing and birthing a baby is harder on a woman's body than running a marathon?! Once your sweet babe is safe in your arms, it's time to focus on some SELF-CARE. I've got some great tips for you! Grab my free Postpartum Self-Care Guide, and learn how to postpartum like a BOSS. 🙂